I know… They’re silly. But whenever I’m feeling like I need a little laugh — and sitting around waiting for the pending California Supreme Court decision qualifies as “needing a laugh” — SILLY IS GOOD.
The types of things that never fail to come my rescue in the service of silliness include:
- Tuscan Whole Milk reviews
- silly love songs
- … and the beloved mondegreens
- … and of course – – @brookish
- I start off with a timely piece — thanks to Brooke: “Can I just have one Mormon dance with you, my love?”
- Followed with (I didn’t even know this song, Brooke!) “Secretaries turn off their vibrators and put on their clothes”
- And a shout-out to Brooke’s mother for preciously mis-hearing this (I was actually in tears when I listened): “Take your pants off and make it happen”
- I remember — from years ago! — how my friend Jesse was so shocked and dismayed about the lyrics to this sad sad song, which he heard as (and I do apologize…) “Only the lonely………..get laid”
- And who knew “Alvin Tostig” was actually NOT a mondegreen?
- I’ll never forget when Janice Daniel was in the backseat of my car and Steve Miller came on. We all sang along, and I still remember her moment of confusion when she discovered that the lyrics were NOT, in fact, “Big ol’ Jan at the lighthouse”
- Lastly, the one that started me off — I’d never heard it this way before, but can now look forward to laughing uncontrollably whenever I hear “My Candleabra”
That’s just a few. For starters. Of course — there are as many mondegreens in the world as there are funky sets of ears not dissimilar to ours, to try to interpret whatever the HECK anybody EVER says. Isn’t it amazing that communication ever happens — and it does!
Thank you Brooke. I needed that — and I’ll need it again!
PS: Who knows how to properly embed blip.fm clips in the hosted WordPress version? Please let me know! Thanks!